Course Delivery Systems
Course content in the program is delivered using two electronic platforms:
- Virtual Classroom System
- Course Management System
The virtual classroom system, known as Big Blue Button (BBB), allows students to participate fully in live class discussions, interacting with classmates and instructors in real time. The system allows students to get the best of the bricks and mortar experience, with interaction and robust discussion, all from the comfort and convenience of their home or work place. Students can ask questions orally using a headset microphone and can participate in instructor-initiated instant polling to gauge the class’ understanding or facilitate discussion.
The course management system currently used is known as Canvas. Students can access assignments, readings, quizzes and tests, and pre-recorded content using this system. Interactive discussion boards are available 24-hours per day for students to engage in scholarly discussions with classmates and instructors. Students can monitor their progress in a given course using an interactive gradebook tool.
Also in Canvas, students can access the program’s administrative site, where important announcements are logged, as well as policies and procedures and job postings can be found.
Technology Requirements and Support
The following is the minimum recommended hardware configuration:
- High-speed, hard wired internet access
- Laptop or Desktop Computer
- 2 Gigahertz P4 CPU or any Core 2 Duo/Quad Core with 1GB of RAM (or of similar performance)
- 80Gb Hard Drive
- CD or DVD drive
- USB port(s)
- Sound card, and speakers or headphones
- 1024 by 768 resolution monitor
- USB headset with microphone
A broadband internet connection, such as Cable Modem, DSL, or Satellite, is required. Students must use a hard-wired Internet connection to participate in live online classroom sessions. A wireless connection will not work properly with the live online instructional system (aka “Adobe Connect.”)
- Microsoft Office 2003 or later
- Acrobat Reader 9 (or higher) or other PDF reader
- Any update-to-date AntiVirus Software (McAfee AntiVirus is provided free to enrolled students.)
- Windows Firewall or Equivalent
- Windows Defender or Equivalent
Enrolled students seeking free or discounted software, please visit UF Academic Technologies – Software Licensing Services.
For technical support at any time, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.