About Dr. Robert Navarro
With over 30 years of practice experience in managed care including development, management and consulting, Robert P. Navarro, Pharm D, Specialty Track Director, Managed Care Pharmacy Systems, has dedicated his career to pioneering efforts in Managed Care Pharmacy. Throughout his time at United Health Care, he contributed to groundbreaking work in developing the industry’s first rebate contract and open-model formulary management, as well as major management directives during his time at Medica Health Plan, Health Net of California, and Express Scripts, Inc.
Serving in a wide range of capacities like a medical center pharmacy co-owner, hospital clinical pharmacist, medical school geriatrics pharmacology instructor, long term care consultant pharmacist, a health plan and PBM pharmacy director, Dr. Navarro now disseminates his amassed knowledge and experiences through higher education courses and professional consultancies.
Dr. Navarro is a Clinical Professor in the Department of Pharmaceutical Outcomes & Policy within UF’s College of Pharmacy, as well as a member of the PharmD and graduate programs faculty. He teaches managed healthcare courses in regards to prescription drug and market access within the online Master of Pharmaceutical Science program and is adapting this course for Pharm D programs as well. He is also developing additional courses in related topics, accountable care, and the PPACA, and is involved in coordinating online MS program seminars.
Dr. Navarro serves the pharmaceutical industry, research consultancies, and healthcare organizations through Navarro Pharma, LLC. He is accepted by the courts and frequently testifies as an expert witness in managed prescription drug program and related patent infringement class litigations.
Nearly 30 years ago, Dr. Navarro co-founded the Academy of Managed Care Pharmacy (AMCP) – the definitive professional organization for anyone practicing in, or interested in, managed prescription drugs benefits. As the first president of the AMCP and the Foundation for Managed Care Pharmacy, his involvement has been recognized with an award.
The Family Medical Care Plan (FMCP) Steven G. Avey Award was presented to him 2009 to honor his lifetime of committed dedication for sustained, exemplary and distinguished service to the profession of managed care pharmacy.
As a leading expert and developer within the field of Managed Care Pharmacy, Dr. Navarro lends his expertise to editing the textbook, Managed Care Pharmacy Practice (1999 and 2009 editions; 3rd edition in progress) to ensure up-to-date and accurate content for students of the field. He has also been the lead author of the managed care pharmacy chapters of the last three editions of the textbook Essentials of Managed Health Care.
Various healthcare publications look to him as a manuscript reviewer, and he is an assistant editor of the Journal of Managed Care and Specialty Pharmacy. He regularly lectures and publishes on managed care prescription drug topics.
- Director of Pharmaceutical Services, United HealthCare
- Assistant Vice President of Provider Services, Health Net
- Vice President for Pharmacy and Therapeutics, Express Scripts, Inc.
- PharmD, College of Pharmacy, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
- BS, Pharmacy, College of Pharmacy, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
- BS, Biology, St. John’s University, Collegeville, MN
- Certificate, Management Development Program in Health Care, University of Southern California, Los Angeles
- Certificate, Information Management Executive Course, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
- Managed Care
- Managed Care Pharmacy Practice
- Pharmaceutical Care
- Value-Based Insurance Design
- Patient Adherence Behavior
- Healthcare reform and accountable care
- Pharmaceutical Marketing and Drug Launch Practices
- Specialty Pharmacy Practice
- Enterpreneursism and Innovation in pharmacy practice