This course delves into the economic principles and issues of health care in the US. It provides a perspective of the influencing forces, reimbursement models, market development and health care finance applied to various work settings. The topics discussed in this course will round out the students’ understanding of the economics of our health care system.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Describe how the concepts of economic efficiency and equity apply to health policy and evaluate current health policies on these dimensions
- Critically evaluate how various government regulations impact the private healthcare markets
- Critically evaluate how market forces and various government regulations impact health outcomes
- Compare and contrast public and private healthcare financing mechanisms
- Given a specific reimbursement mechanism, identify the economic incentives facing payers, providers, and patients
- Critically examine the purposes, consequences, and motivation behind various healthcare reforms
*Please note that this syllabus is subject to change. Use the updated syllabus in Canvas as the official course syllabus.