The purpose of this course is to analyze health care markets by using microeconomic tools. The course will explore the special features and complexities of health care markets and will focus on the analysis of consumption, production, and distribution of health and health care services with an emphasis on pharmaceutical products and services.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Describe the prominent economic theories and tools used for planning and decision-making in healthcare markets.
- Explain the economic forces that are responsible for the structure of our current healthcare system and the delivery of pharmaceuticals and pharmacy services within the system.
- Explain the determinants of supply and demand for pharmaceuticals, pharmacy and medical services, and insurance.
- Describe how the market structure and inherent incentives impact supply, demand, and price of healthcare services.
- Describe the rationale and the impact of government regulations in healthcare markets.
PHA 6286 Syllabus